Part of the key to a successful estate plan is working with the right estate planning attorney. Remember you are choosing the attorney for yourself and to guide your loved ones should you become disabled and when you die. Its an important decision.
Below, weve outlined several tips on how to choose an estate planning attorney. We hope you find it helpful.
- Ask your CPA, financial advisor, and insurance professional for referrals. They work with estate planning attorneys on a regular basis. They will likely be able to lead you to an estate planning attorney who will be a good fit for you and your family.
- Ask your friends who they work with and whether theyd recommend that you work with the same estate planning attorney.
- Check listings for nationally recognized estate planning attorneys such as the American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys. The attorneys listed are highly trained and focus their practice on estate planning.
- Choose an attorney who focuses his or her practice on estate planning. A jack of all trades is an expert of none. Just like youd go to a surgeon for surgery, go to an estate planning attorney for estate planning.
- Attend seminars and Seminars presented by estate planning attorneys. This gives you an opportunity to meet and greet the attorney and his or her team members. Youll learn about the firm philosophy and estate planning, in general.
- Read estate planning attorneys websites and blog articles. Not only will you learn about the attorney and the firm, youll learn about estate planning as well.
Does the attorney come across as academic and unapproachable, or is the attorney down to earth yet professional?
- Schedule a meet and greet consultation with an estate planning attorney that you feel comfortable with. Most estate planning attorneys offer a free, no obligation initial consultation where you can ask questions and learn how the estate planning attorney can help you and your family.