As estate planning attorneys, we know that youd rather be thinking about going fishing, a trip to the beach, or relaxing on the couch watching the big game. But estate planning issues have a way of creeping into everyday life, for instance, have you thought about
- Having enough assets to pay the bills if your spouse dies?
- Who will help you with the kids if youre left on your own?
- What if you cant make your own medical/health care decisions?
- Who will take care of your kids if you and your spouse are both in a car crash?
- Will your kids be taken into foster care if you dont have an estate plan in place?
- Are you saving all the money you can?
- Are you properly insured? Are you over insured?
- Do you have umbrella liability insurance?
- Are you concerned your sons spouse may take the money you leave him?
- Who will raise your kids if you cant?
- Who will get your assets if you dont have your own plan?
- Do you want to pay for probate?
- Do you wish to protect your childrens inheritance from lawsuits?
- Does your mother need Medicaid to pay for long term care?
- Do you want a living will?
- How much would it really cost to get an estate plan in place? Whats the cost of not having an estate plan in place?
- Do you need to update your plan?
- What if you get divorced?
- Should you take social security now or wait?
Take a few moments to think about these estate planning issues, then get a plan in place. Then, you can have the peace of mind to enjoy thinking about fun things like fishing, the beach, and the game.
Should you have questions, consult with a qualified estate planning attorney.