If youve been appointed as an executor, you will have many executor duties, throughout the probate process. It can seem overwhelming trying to handle all of your duties correctly; and, you are personally liable for any mistake that you make. Most executors hire a probate attorney.
Hiring a probate attorney makes the estate settlement process much easier and protects you, legally. Take a look at the following information, to better understand how a probate attorney can help you probate (i.e. settle) an estate. If you have any questions, or if youd like to better understand the probate process, contact an estate planning probate attorney.
Probate Consists of Multiple Legal Hoops
The probate process can be stressful and very lengthy. It can also be confusing to handle all of the affairs on your own, since you dont really know what youre doing.
A probate attorney will provide support during probate court appearances as well as in other legal matters that go along with the process. This can make everything go much more smoothly so that there is less stress, no mistakes, and, likely, the estate is settled more quickly.
As Executor, You Have the Legal Authority to Hire a Probate Attorney
As executor, you have the legal authority to hire a probate attorney; all probate fees, including attorney fees, are paid from the estate, not directly from your pocket.
10 Things Your Probate Lawyer will do to Help You
- File the will at the court house and have you appointed as the personal representative (i.e. executor)
- Have the assets appraised
- Fill out all the income tax forms
- Fill out the California inheritance and estate tax forms
- Communicate with all the beneficiaries
- Read the lead disclosures at a house auction
- Cancel your loved ones credit cards, apartment lease, and car lease
- Get your loved ones safe deposit box contents
- Represent you before the probate court
- Deal with the life insurance companies
If you have any additional questions, or if you need help with your probate affairs, consult with a qualified estate planning attorney.